To establish year round sporting and leisure activities for individuals with developmental and/or intellectual disabilities who live in Forsyth County and the surrounding areas.
- Individuals with developmental and/or cognitive disabilities need more opportunities to participate in a variety of leisure and sporting activities.
- The earlier a child gets involved with sports and a healthy life style, the more likely s/he will continue his/her involvement later as an adult.
- Special Olympics and sporting/leisure activities are vital to the success of a young person’s transition to adulthood as it can positively enhance one’s independence and productivity, social skills, health, and self-worth.
- Special Olympics will increase community awareness about individuals with developmental disabilities resulting in an inclusive community that encourages independence, productivity and accessibility.
- Athletes that get involved in leisure and sporting activities will yield positive and rewarding experiences for the individual, his/her family and the community.